§ 16 Further education; language courses; school education

(1) A foreigner may be granted a residence permit for the purpose of studying at a state or state-recognised university or a comparable educational establishment. Residence for study purposes shall also extend to language courses in preparation for studies and attendance of a preparatory course prior to studying (preparatory measures for courses of study).

(3) The residence permit entitles the holder to take up employment totalling no more than 120 days or 240 half-days per year, and to take up spare-time student employment. This shall not apply in the first year of residence during a stay for the purpose of preparatory measures for a course of study, except during holiday time and in the case of residence pursuant to sub-section 1a.

(4) After successful completion of the studies, the residence permit may be extended by up to 18 months for the purposes of seeking a job commensurate with this qualification, provided that it is permissible to fill the vacancy concerned with foreigners in accordance with the provisions contained in Sections 18, 19, 19a and 21. The allowance to stay does also permit to work.

(5) A foreigner may be granted a residence permit to attend language courses which do not serve to prepare him or her for a course of study and, in exceptional cases, for the purpose of attending school education. Sub-section 2 shall apply mutatis mutandis.

(5a) If it is necessary for a qualified education to visit a school, after § 5 the permission to stay does also allow the foreigner to work, independent of the trainee-ship, up to 10 hours per week.

(5b) After the successful certificate of the qualified trainee-ship the title of stay can be stretched up to one year so the foreigner gets the chance to find a job that suits the certificate of the trainee-ship, if this kind of job can be performed by a foreigner after § 18 and 21.The allowance of stay does permit the foreigner to work. § 9 does not count here.